These days, you hear about smart homes and smart devices everywhere. Amazon Echo devices and Amazon’s Alexa are no exception. There is a good reason that many people, older adults included, can identify Alexa’s voice or know what smart speakers are – and that’s because they are becoming increasingly useful in everyday life.
If you don’t know what these devices are, or if you’ve been considering getting one, read on to discover what you need to know.
- Echo Show and Echo Spot smart displays
- Echo Dot smart speakers
- Echo Buds earbuds for music and audiobooks
- Echo Auto, a hands-free car accessory
Without Alexa, however, these smart device’s functions would be, well, less smart. This is because Echo and Alexa work hand in hand, according to Amazon.
So who or what is Alexa, and what does it do? To put it simply, Alexa is Amazon’s voice artificial intelligence (AI) system that can help anytime there is internet access to a device that can connect to the service. Amazon states this can be an Echo device, phone app, or even a third party that lets you access the Alexa voice service.
While the product line is increasing all the time, many seniors – who are becoming increasing tech savvy – find that smart speakers like the Echo Dot or the Echo Show and Echo Spot smart displays are the right tools for them.
How simple would it be to tell Alexa anything you need and have her keep a log for you? Those who have an Echo device know firsthand that it’s super helpful. Check out some of the things that Amazon’s Echo and Alexa can assist with.
- Adding items to shopping lists
- Providing a business’ hours, locations or phone number
- Keeping up with doctors appointments
- Setting reminders or a timer
- Looking up recipes
- Checking the weather
- Turning off the lights or adjusting the thermostat
- Setting medication reminders
- Answering questions or getting sports stats
Because it’s a hands-free, voice-controlled device, it’s super simple to use.
- You can use it from a distance away
- It can be used with minimal physical activity
- It’s voice activated, limiting the need to press buttons (though with the Show and Spot you can if you’d like to)
- Echo speakers’ volume can be adjusted for those with trouble hearing
One thing we’ve been shown recently is that technology helps us remain closer than ever. Alexa can help you achieve greater connectivity by:
- Making phone calls hands-free
- Starting a video call, no buttons needed
- Allowing family members to put family photos on the slideshow background
- Making sure you’re safe and cared for through Alexa Together, allowing family to connect with you remotely
It should come as no surprise that Echo devices come with safety features through Alexa. Check out some of the ways it can enhance security and safety.
- It can serve as a form of home security
- You can connect to a smart doorbell
- Alexa can call family and friends when needed
- With Alexa Together, Alexa can call for help
- With certain Echo devices, caregivers can “drop in” with a video call to check in
From game nights and cozy evenings to a midday pick-me-up, Echo devices can bring a lot of fun to you. Many find that they love asking Alexa to:
- Play music
- Tell a joke
- Share tips
- Read audiobooks
- Stream TV shows
- Begin a game or trivia session
They also make great gifts, so if you are considering an Echo or Alexa for a senior in your life, it might be a great choice.
Each Alexa-enabled Echo device is different, and some services may require a subscription, so be sure to do some research beforehand if there are certain features you’re searching for.
Those living at Waterstone of Westchester can definitely benefit from an Echo device and Alexa, but there are additional benefits to living here that you can’t get from an interactive device.
Waterstone of Westchester provides a dynamic, carefree lifestyle for seniors 62 and over, including cultural programs, activities, and lifelong learning opportunities. Beyond trivia and online games, residents compete against one another, make new friends, and learn new things each day.
Through our partnership with VNS Westchester, we’re able to provide care services right on site, including:
- Personalized support
- Home health coordination
- Medication management
- Geriatric primary and specialty care
- Routine wellness visits
Instead of thinking about what to make for dinner or looking up a recipe that might be more difficult than it sounds, we make dining easy. With fresh, locally sourced gourmet dining, you can savor delicious meals with none of the mess and none of the hassle.
From our experienced staff trained to navigate your healthcare needs to on-site concierge services and weekly housekeeping services, there’s always someone at your service.
Socializing is our specialty. We love providing opportunities for residents to connect. Through cocktail hours and dinner events, residents can make new friends. At outings and trips, residents can explore with like-minded residents.
With social clubs and special interest groups, new friends are around every corner. No matter what you find yourself enjoying, there’s sure to be someone to enjoy it with.
See how Waterstone of Westchester makes life simpler and more carefree for seniors – in all aspects of life. Join us for an upcoming open house.
Learn more about our premier independent living community where you’ll thrive in a beautifully appointed apartment with designer finishes and enjoy connecting with friends in our stunning common areas. Come home to Waterstone of Westchester.