It used to be that moving to senior living was something that people wanted to avoid at all costs. Nowadays, senior living has turned into something that people are looking forward to. Still, many older adults wonder when is the right time to move to senior living.
“The best age to move into independent living is, really, now,” says Lauren Freifeld, Executive Director of Waterstone of Westchester, a new premier rental retirement community coming to White Plains, NY. “Moving to senior living is a significant life change, no doubt about it, but it’s a life change that can really elevate your lifestyle and make it easy to age in a healthy, active manner.”
Granted, many seniors choose to wait until their “older” senior years to make a move, but the average age of an independent living resident is currently dropping as more and more options open for the active adult market. These days, you can find individuals in their early 60s moving to independent living in order to make the most out of their retirement.
Still, it can be a little difficult – maybe even scary – to make a big decision like that. Lauren says that’s why it’s important to consider the steps and understand when you are ready to make a move. “What age to move into a retirement community depends completely on the individual,” she explains. “There’s no right or wrong time; it’s only when you’re ready and comfortable to make this exciting change in your life.”
How do I know if I’m ready for senior living?
If you answer “yes” to more than one of these questions, you may be ready to move into retirement living:
- Are you tired of dealing with the chores and headaches of homeownership?
- Would you like to live somewhere that allows you to age with ease?
- Do you want a more active social life?
- Do you like the idea of an all-inclusive luxury lifestyle?
How is senior living different from independent living at home?
Sure, living at home is technically independent living. But independent living in a community is so much more. It’s all the benefits of living independently and actively, without having to deal with repairs, yardwork, grocery shopping, cleaning or anything else like that … ever again. Instead, it’s a little like living in an all-inclusive resort. Everything is taken care of for you, leaving your time free to do the things you want and love to do. Since communities have a robust calendar of events and a variety of amenities – like art studios, movie theatres and fitness centers, to name a few – you’ll find plenty to do each and every day.
What should I look for in terms of amenities and services?
Here’s what to look for in independent living facilities when you’re ready to take the plunge:
- A maintenance-free lifestyle. You’ll never have to deal with repairs, yardwork or surprise fixes again – everything’s taken care of for you.
- Delicious dining prepared by your personal chef. Independent living communities offer a dining experience to rival some of the finest restaurants – and it’s available every day. Waterstone communities have professionally trained chefs on staff who direct a high-quality team in creating nutritious and delicious menus.
- A health and wellness lifestyle. Staying healthy means more than just eating right and getting exercise. Communities have redesigned their lifestyles in order to focus on health and wellness, providing an atmosphere that allows seniors to remain healthy and active for as long as possible.
- Choice and freedom. Ultimately, the independent living community you choose should offer you choice and freedom for all your days – which will give you the retirement you deserve.
Moving to senior living is a big decision, but by understanding your options and the differences available, you’ll be able to find the perfect solution for you or another senior loved one.
Now Accepting Reservations!
We look forward to introducing you to the definitive, distinctive lifestyle at Waterstone of Westchester and welcoming you as one of the first residents of our new community. For more information or to reserve your space, please call 914.295.2177 and discover how you can help shape the future of our premier rental community for seniors 62 and over.
Live the Life You Love. Opening Early 2022.
Welcome home to Waterstone of Westchester – a community that takes the idea of home to an entirely new level. In this premier independent senior living community, you’ll thrive in curated elegance and style in a beautifully appointed apartment with designer finishes. Plus, enjoy connecting with friends and team members in our welcoming common areas.
Located right in the heart of White Plains, Waterstone of Westchester is the perfect sophisticated, urban setting for active seniors. Directly across from the flagship Bloomingdale’s, the community is just a short walk away from the finest shops and restaurants and less than a mile from I-287, making it easy to get away and enjoy everything the area has to offer.
Waterstone of Westchester offers independent living for active, independent seniors while also providing supportive care services through an innovative partnership with VNS Westchester. As a rental community, residents enjoy a maintenance-free, carefree life with no steep entrance fees. Delicious dining, a focus on wellness and engaging programs are always on the menu.
Continue living your dream life here at Waterstone of Westchester. Fill your days with favorite pastimes, delicious and healthy meals, stimulating exercises and educational programs. Enjoy spending time in your beautifully designed apartment, alone or with friends – because everything here is designed to make you feel right at home.
Welcome to Waterstone of Westchester! Join the experience of what life is like at this premier senior living community by calling 914.295.2177.