Is it possible for two different senior living options to offer engaging lifestyles, enriching amenities, and programs tailored to resident interests? Though it may sound like it’s too good to be true, it’s not. In fact, it’s even better, with one of these options even providing the added benefit of customized care and support. We’re talking about independent living and assisted living at Waterstone of Lexington.
To better understand each of these offerings, we need to take a deep dive into their similarities and differences. Then, you’ll discover how both of these senior living options can make life even better for older adults who choose to move.
If you or a loved one have been considering senior living options, you may be wondering which lifestyle is best for your situation. Below we will share what you can expect from each living option while answering some of the most common questions we receive.
When you stack up independent living vs. assisted living, you’ll find that those who choose each service aren’t really that different. Anyone who chooses these services can experience an engaging and enriching senior lifestyle with access to a range of services and amenities to enhance life each day. But, since the question is who takes advantage of each, we’ll narrow it down more.
Older adults who choose independent living are those who:
- Live independently, often with no additional or minimal care support
- Look forward to the possibilities and social opportunities retirement communities offer
- Enjoy living worry-free with services designed to eliminate daily chores and the hassles of homeownership
- Desire a plan in place for the future in the event care needs change
Seniors who choose assisted living want:
- Privacy and independence but without support close at hand
- Personalized assistance with activities of daily living
- A vibrant lifestyle with daily activities and events
- Peace of mind of health care services nearby
While we gave a little insight into this above, there is much more to senior living communities than meets the eye. This is especially true at Waterstone of Lexington. What can you expect from our independent living community?
- Beautiful apartments with refined details, featuring a range of floor plan options
- Luxurious common areas for activities and socialization
- Compelling social, cultural and recreational programs
- Dynamic social events and outings
- Exquisite anytime dining
- Fitness and wellness programs
- Personal training plans and group fitness classes by Train Boston®
- Mind-body studio and juice bar
- Heated indoor pool
- Full-service salon
- On-site concierge
- Private underground parking
- Outdoor nature paths
If support becomes necessary, we also offer an on-site coordinated care program for our independent living residents, where our premier care partners provide services in the comfort of residents’ private apartments.
- Personalized care consultations
- Daily planning
- Home health coordination
- Medication management
- On-site geriatric primary and specialty care services
- Routine wellness visits
- An experienced staff trained to navigate your healthcare needs
- Overnight support staff
It is important to note that some independent living communities may offer far less than this, so when considering your or your loved one’s options, be sure to evaluate wants and needs to ensure you’re choosing the right lifestyle for now – and for the future.
Assisted living offers access to the same enriching Waterstone lifestyle that independent living residents enjoy – but it comes with more. Here, residents also benefit from:
- Well-designed, private apartments with a choice of floor plans
- Comprehensive, customized care plans
- Support delivered by our attentive team
- Personalized support with activities of daily living
- Customized wellness programs
- Coordination with ancillary providers
- Programs, activities and events
- Three chef-prepared meals daily
- Housekeeping and laundry services
- Transportation services
This can depend on what type of lifestyle you’re searching for. While it’s true that assisted living often costs slightly more because of the added aspect of care, we also make senior living more flexible.
At Waterstone of Lexington, our independent and assisted living community is rental only, meaning you or your loved one won’t need to worry about:
- Paying for steep entrance fees to access independent living
- Paying for unused assisted living care – until it’s needed
- Being locked into a contract
This is often the perfect choice for seniors, no matter what level of care they require.
For many older adults, this is a deeply personal subject, and the truth is, it depends. For some seniors, they’re ready to move right now, taking in as many of the programs, services, amenities and learning opportunities as they can. They may also love knowing the community they choose has care available, if it becomes a necessity. For others, they aren’t ready to make a move until they need extra support or personal care to continue living the lifestyle they love.
At Waterstone of Lexington, we typically suggest moving as soon as possible. This is so residents can:
- Get accustomed to their new lifestyle
- Explore everything we have to offer without limitations
- Enjoy all our active lifestyle provides before care is needed
- Make new friends and meet like-minded individuals
- Experience the support that’s needed as soon as it’s needed, without having to seek out care during an emergency
You can learn more about independent living and assisted living at Waterstone of Lexington by scheduling a visit. If you’re interested in memory care for a family member with memory loss, our sister community, BridgesⓇ by EPOCH at Lexington, can provide the right level of care to suit their needs, too.
Experience our lifestyle for yourself and see why so many others have made a move today.
Waterstone of Lexington offers a modern approach to retirement living in a historical setting with concierge services and impressive amenities. Come see how we redefine independent living and assisted living with a visit today.