There may come a time in your loved one’s life when they need a little extra support – but when is assisted living necessary? While the answer will differ for everyone, some key signs can help you evaluate when it’s the right time for assisted living services.
If you’ve been wondering whether assisted living would be beneficial for your loved one, read on as we share some of the many signs, provide tips, and include resources that can help you decide as your loved one’s needs change.
For many family members, searching for senior living communities can be an overwhelming process; however, many find that when they notice the following signs, a move may be best for their loved one’s physical health and well-being. These can include:
- Hospitalization, sickness, or a sudden change in needs
- Memory loss that interferes with daily living
- Guidance from healthcare providers to consider a move to assisted living
- A decline in ability to care for themselves such as poor nutrition, inability to bathe themselves properly, or trouble with taking medications correctly
- A decline in ability to manage the home such as lack of necessary maintenance, problems with yardwork or less attention to cleanliness
While care concerns for a loved one are the ultimate indicator of the need for assisted living services, family members may find that a move to a senior living community benefits not only their loved one, but themselves, too. The following concerns can indicate that now may be a good time to consider assisted living.
- Your loved one’s care requires more time than you can provide
- Memory loss is causing symptoms that are beyond what you can handle
- You’re experiencing burnout and stress
- You are no longer connecting with those you love and are quitting your hobbies
- You have your own health conditions to consider
Many seniors want to remain at home for as long as possible, but as needs change, the reality is that assisted living communities can provide a better mix of supportive care, engaging lifestyle, and socialization – leading to an enhanced quality of life.
When comparing staying at home versus moving to an assisted living community, residents within a premier assisted living community such as Waterstone on High Ridge benefit from:
- A beautiful private apartment with safety features
- A warm atmosphere with around-the-clock support
- Skilled team members who are trained to handle all activities of daily living
- Increased opportunities for daily connection
- A life enrichment team that creates a full schedule of daily programs, events and activities
If you are starting to notice signs that it may be time for assisted living, reach out to our team for some tips on starting the conversation about assisted living with your loved one and other family members.
At Waterstone on High Ridge, we offer best-in-class assisted living in Stamford, CT, that provides just the right amount of support to enable our residents to full enjoy our carefree, enriching lifestyle. Our assisted living community includes:
- Private living spaces with studios and one- or two-bedroom apartments
- Comprehensive support on site with 24-hour care and nursing support
- Personalized care consultation and customized wellness plans
- Assistance with daily living activities
- Three nutritious meals daily with locally sourced, fresh ingredients
- Medication management
- Weekly housekeeping
- On-site concierge services
- Overnight support staff
Waterstone on High Ridge also provides a dedicated memory care household, with expert care provided by the experts at Bridges® by EPOCH. This additional level of care ensures residents can age in place as healthcare needs may change.
Whether your loved one has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia, the compassionate care and dedicated support they need is right here – no matter where they are in their journey with memory loss.
Our Bridges® at Waterstone lifestyle includes a range of services and amenities to enrich the lives of those we serve, including:
- Research-based and thoughtfully designed household to support loved ones
- Beautifully designed suites featuring a soothing atmosphere
- Common areas where residents can remain engaged and feel at home
- Personalized wellness programs, events and activities
- 24-hour licensed nursing care and assistance with daily routines
- Three chef-prepared meals daily
- A personalized approach to care that creates connection and meaningful engagement
No matter what your or your loved one’s care needs are, our team is here for you. Whether you’ve got general questions or are considering your options, we can guide you through the process of finding the perfect assisted living or memory care option. Schedule your family’s tour today.
Waterstone on High Ridge offers a modern approach to senior living in a beautiful hilltop setting. Come see how we redefine independent living, assisted living and memory care in Fairfield County, just minutes away from fine restaurants, retail stores and cultural venues in Stamford and Greenwich.