Once you’ve toured your senior living communities of choice and made your final decision, the next step is preparing for a move. What does the moving process entail? Our step-by-step guide can help you get started.
Like most retirement communities, we offer floor plans for each level of care, as well as living options to suit current senior care needs and future continuing care preferences.
Upon choosing to move, establish which floor plan fits you the best. Then, take this blank slate and plan out how you’ll fill it with furnishings, decorations and stylish elements to make it your own. If you’re trying an entirely new style, purchase or thrift items that are perfect for the look you’re going for.
While choosing your new space, you likely began a mental list of what to bring or leave behind. Use this as the foundation of your downsizing list.
While this can seem like a simple task, for many, it’s not. You can make downsizing easier by:
- Making a list of what items feel like home
- Going through one room at a time
- Establishing piles of items to donate, pass down or sell
- Taking photos of items that you may not want to keep but would love to keep the memory
- Enlisting the help of friends and family members
- Talking to the Waterstone on High Ridge team, who can lead you to resources to help
The moving process can be stressful, too, but by preparing accordingly, it can be made easier. Ask one of our Senior Advisors to recommend trusted movers they work with. These ideas can also help:
- Make a list of everything you’ve packed
- Label all your boxes according to the room
- Plan transportation for your items
- Make a moving-day plan of when you’ll start and who is helping
- Pack vehicles ahead of time if possible
- Get plenty of rest prior to moving
On moving day, the Waterstone team will be there to assist in making the process go smoothly. You’ll get acquainted with all the team members who will support your lifestyle, including:
- Our executive director
- Life enrichment team members
- Our Senior Advisor and concierge
- The culinary team
- Professional trainers from the fitness center
You’ll also meet your new neighbors who can share great tips based on their personal experience, helping you get acquainted with life at Waterstone.
One of the best things about senior living communities is that they take care of everything for you once you’ve moved in. After you get unpacked and settled, begin enjoying the lifestyle you’ve planned for – free from worries and home maintenance – with the support of a team ready to take care of everything for you.
- Need tickets to an upcoming show? Ask our concierge to help you.
- Interested in trying out a new hobby? Ask the life enrichment team about our offerings.
- Looking for a birthday gift for a loved one? Take our private transportation to local shops.
- Want to host your family and show off your new home? Invite them and reserve our private dining room with the concierge.
If you haven’t yet made the decision to move to Waterstone on High Ridge, we invite you to experience our lifestyle and learn more about what we offer you. Attend an upcoming event or open house today to get started.
Waterstone on High Ridge offers a modern approach to senior living in a beautiful hilltop setting. Come see how we redefine independent living, assisted living and memory care in Fairfield County, just minutes away from fine restaurants, retail stores and cultural venues in Stamford and Greenwich.