When seniors search for a retirement community, they often think about the floor plans, the activities, the dining, and the on-site programs. However, they may be missing one important aspect: How desirable the surrounding area may be.
Location can make or break a decision to move to a senior living community. What’s more, location preferences can be different for everyone, making it essential to:
- Schedule a tour to immerse yourself in the community
- Get a feel for what the surrounding community offers
- Hear directly from the residents what they think about the location and the opportunities it provides
For many seniors, the factor that’s increasingly important is their community neighborhood’s walkability. Older adults are actively looking for a senior living community where they can stay involved in the greater community – one that’s easily accessible and provides opportunities just outside their doors.
Benefits of Walkable Senior Living Community
Whether seniors don’t drive, want to get more exercise, are looking for a way to easily connect with others, or are trying to help the environment, walkable senior living locations offer many advantages, including:
Wellness and Health Benefits
People who live in walkable neighborhoods are more likely to travel by foot or bike. This provides an additional opportunity to get exercise while maintaining a healthy weight, strengthening bones, reducing the risk of heart disease, improving balance, and more.
Even better, if you’re looking for an added boost, walking can enhance your mood, help reduce stress, and improve cognition.
Being involved in a walkable area can bring a greater sense of community and increased opportunities to connect with others. Often, you’ll also find more ways to volunteer, engage with younger generations, and explore new hobbies. Being connected to a community can decrease feelings of loneliness and enhance independence.
Many people include vehicle and maintenance costs like gas and auto insurance within their monthly budget. A walkable area – especially one that’s located near public transportation if needed – means you no longer have to plan for these costs.
Walkable cities and pedestrian-friendly areas reduce the number of vehicles on the road. This helps decrease the environmental impacts of air pollution while also reducing a community’s carbon footprint.
Walkable Things To Do at Waterstone at the Circle
Discover just some of the walkable hot spots that await our residents just outside the doors of our premier senior living community.
- Enjoy Cassidy Park or the Chestnut Hill Reservoir walking trail
- Order a bite to eat at Eagle’s Deli, Cafée Landwer, Cityside Tavern or Pino’s Pizza
- Explore the Metropolitan Waterworks Museum
- Grab some essentials at CVS Pharmacy or 7-Eleven
- Savor a drink at Kung Fu Tea or Dunkin’
- Visit guests at the AC Hotel by Marriott
- Grab some sushi at Fin’s Sushi & Grill or Sushi Momento
Fun is only a short ride away – or just outside your door.
Aside from how walkable our community is, you can easily travel to locations that are farther away. Whether you choose to take the MBTA Green Line, schedule private transportation with our concierge, or travel in your own vehicle, you can easily reach whichever nearby destinations you please. With some of the best locations just a few minutes away, there will always be something fun to do.
- Enjoy a sporting event at Fenway Park
- Check out the Museum of Fine Arts or the Arnold Arboretum
- Go shopping at The Street in Chestnut Hill, Newton Centre, Copley Place, Harvard Square, North End or Prudential Center
- Visit Boston College or Boston University
- Experience a performance at the Citizens Bank Opera House, the Coolidge Corner Theatre, or the Boston Symphony Orchestra
- Take the grandkids to the Franklin Park Zoo
- Tour the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum
- Play at one of the many golf courses near Boston
Would you prefer to stay in at Waterstone at the Circle?
Remaining within our community is certainly an option you have the freedom to enjoy as well! Here, you can simply walk outside your apartment door to enjoy enriching programs, exquisite dining, engaging social and cultural activities, and wellness opportunities. Whether you want to chat with friends, try a new hobby, work on your fitness goals, or explore a new interest, we can make it happen.
No matter your preferences, the versatility of our senior living location allows you to spend each day as you please.
EXPERIENCE WATERSTONE AT THE CIRCLE FOR YOURSELF
Discover how Waterstone at the Circle’s location can enhance your active, on-the-go lifestyle. Schedule a visit today to learn more about our premier independent living community designed to enrich life for seniors 62 and over.