Imagine walking into your own personal fitness center and being met with not only state-of-the-art amenities and exercise equipment, but also by an energetic, vibrant staff of personal trainers who are completely focused on helping you age gracefully and stay fit. That’s the feeling you’ll have at the exceptional fitness center at Waterstone at Wellesley. Our independent and assisted living residents can receive the experience and expertise of a custom gym that’s specifically designed to meet the needs of aging seniors – and it’s all available at our community.
“Wellness is more than fitness programs and activities,” says Devon Sicard, Executive Director of Waterstone at Wellesley. “We see it as a way of life, so our active lifestyle, services and amenities are all designed to help residents achieve their health and wellness goals.”
“Part of how we achieve that is by partnering with Train Boston to help create a senior health program that’s unlike any other in the area. Train Boston is our area’s premier physical therapy and training organization, and we’re thrilled that we’re able to provide this partnership that helps improve the aging experience and enhances overall health and wellness for our residents.”
The Benefits of Exercise for Aging Adults
We all know that exercise is good for us, but do you know specifically why? Getting regular physical exercise and fitness helps seniors boost their energy, protect their hearts, maintain a healthy body weight, improve immune systems and manage symptoms of illness. This becomes even more important as we get older because staying healthy allows us to maintain our independence as much as possible. Here are just some of the full-body benefits of a regular exercise routine:
- Helps you avoid health complications. Exercise improves our immune and digestive systems and keeps our blood pressure and bone density at good levels. Regular exercise also lessens your risk of serious health issues like diabetes, heart disease, obesity, certain cancers and even dementias like Alzheimer’s disease.
- Helps you maintain or lose weight. Our metabolism slows down as we age, so regular exercise is essential to help boost metabolism, build muscle mass and burn calories.
- Improves your sleep patterns. A good night’s sleep does more than keep you bright-eyed and bushy tailed. It’s also important for your overall health and wellness. By exercising regularly, you’ll fall asleep more quickly, have a deeper sleep and wake up feeling better than ever.
- Enhances flexibility, mobility and balance. Falls are a significant risk for older adults. Regular exercise improves your strength and posture as well as gives you more flexibility. This, paired with strength training, will help you be more mobile and more sure on your feet. (It can also help with chronic joint conditions like arthritis.)
- Keeps your brain healthy and active. Yes, exercise actually has enormous beneficial effects on your brain. Staying physically active helps brain functions like creativity and multitasking and can also help prevent cognitive decline and memory loss.
- Improves your mood and boosts self-confidence. When we exercise, our brain produces endorphins, which helps reduce stress and makes us feel happier. Endorphins can actually help reduce depression, anxiety and feelings of sadness. Staying active and feeling strong will also boost your self-confidence.
- Improves the aging process. All these benefits combine to help seniors age well – really well. This means that no matter how old you are, you can enjoy the highest quality of life possible, allowing you to live a lifestyle that’s rich, fulfilling and enjoyable.
The Train Boston® Difference
There are many fitness and therapy centers available in the Boston area, but only one that stands head and shoulders above the rest because of its collaborative, safe, integrative and exceptional approach to senior health and wellness, says Devon.
“We worked with Train Boston to form this partnership because of their excellent history and extremely high standards for staff,” she says. “Their resume is impressive, having worked with the LA Clippers, Atlanta Hawks, New England Patriots and even the 1996 Olympic team. However, what really inspired us was their collaborative approach to health and wellness. Their staff is exceptional, composed of only the most highly trained therapists and trainers available. Each individual member of the team focuses on helping our residents reach their highest and best level of health and wellness possible.”
How Waterstone at Wellesley Improves Wellness for Aging Adults
All personal training, exercise and therapy sessions are held in our premier fitness center, to which all residents at Waterstone at Wellesley have complimentary access. You can take advantage of our heated indoor pool and state-of-the-art exercise machines that have been specifically designed for senior health and aging adults, as well as a full roster of group exercise classes and personal training sessions.
Train Boston® fitness and aquatic instructors are on staff to help our residents personalize their routines so they can achieve the health results they want in a safe, effective manner. The staff also leads group aqua aerobics, tai chi, yoga and other classes where socialization opportunities and a great atmosphere make exercising rewarding and fun.
“Many of our residents who choose to live here have enjoyed regular exercise and health throughout their lives,” says Devon. “But for our residents who are ready to start a healthier, more engaged chapter of their lives, Waterstone at Wellesley is ready to help them achieve that.
“Seniors have unique health needs that need to be accommodated in order to achieve maximum results and the Train Boston staff is experienced in helping aging adults – no matter what their fitness level – reach their highest performance while also respecting their body’s abilities,” says Devon.
Beautiful Riverfront Community
Located on the banks of the Charles River, Waterstone is Wellesley’s only senior living community, offering premier independent and assisted living. But that’s only the first of many differences that sets Waterstone above and beyond other communities.
Celebrating Dynamic Living
Here our residents live independently in their own private, spacious apartments – but without any of the worries or concerns of homeownership or living alone. All meals are expertly prepared. There aren’t any chores to be concerned with. No home maintenance or repairs to worry about. Just opportunities around every corner and time to spend as they choose – in the company of new friends.
Our vibrant community encourages residents to engage in a variety of recreational, cultural and social programs and activities. Enjoy a fitness class. Swim in the sunny indoor pool. Take a stroll on a walking path. Partake in a favorite hobby or pastime. Discover a new interest. With Waterstone at Wellesley, there’s a world of opportunity waiting right outside our residents’ doors.
Assisted Living with the Confidence of Care
The hallmark of Waterstone assisted living is the peace of mind we provide both our residents and their families. Knowing that care and support is available right on site instills a sense of confidence and calm one can’t find living alone.
For prospective residents or their families interested in residing at Waterstone at Wellesley, please contact us at 781.591.7113.